Monday 17 May 2010

Magpie 14 Kangaroo Paw


it sits
hidden from view
an heirloom with no currency.
Hidden from guests
fearing inferiority
among the modern and the tasteful.



my mother's love affair
with wildflowers
and things domestic.
the emblem of the western state.
not opals or
aboriginal artifacts or
hand spun wollen scarves.
but a plate.
handpainted.
red and green Kangaroo Paw
Anigozanthos manglesii

never used
never feted
never mentioned
always present
hung on the living room wall
of the war service cottage
for fifty years.

strange
I had to have
that one piece
of my mother.

For more writing inspired by the 'Blue willow" plate click on this image. This piece is part of the writing website magpie tales.

For more stories about the War service cottage see the previous post:
"That Ordinary House - Hopes and Lies" Click here.

14 comments:

Tess Kincaid said...

It's a beautiful and unique plate, and I'm sure so full of memories for you. I can see why you had to have this one piece, Steve. Your mother would love this lovely poem.

Now, I'm off to read more about the cottage. I'm intrigued....

The Crusty Crone said...

Lovely. It brought a sense of peace to me as I read it.

Tumblewords: said...

Special plate and keepsake. I like the tale and the lovely image.

Sheri said...

steve, this is beautiful...is it based on truth? only asking because then it would mean that you shared a piece of your heart today, not only your extraordinary skill :)
and thank you so much for commenting on my blog...you 'heard' what i had such a tough time saying and i thank you for that!!

joanna said...

I can see why you and your mother admire this plate nice way to do the magpie tale - a poem that breathes warmth and love and a dose of appreciation for the small things in life that do not have a monetary value -- but hold so much more.

Joanny

Brian Miller said...

wonderfully done...i imagine when my moms time comes there will be a little piece i keep as well. nice magpie!

Jingle said...

awesome job!

Ronda Laveen said...

I have this little handpainted cream pitcher with the Montana state flower on it that was my mother-in-laws! I can so relate to this and it has a permanent place in my kitchen.

Helen said...

I love how the Blue Willow plate inspired your poem ... very nice.

susan m hinckley said...

I love this and found the end to be particularly moving. I have a similar plate, hand painted, but with wild roses -- it is the one piece of my grandmother I had to have. No idea why, but your poem really resonated with me.

Lyn said...

A perfect, tender memory..thanks!

~T~ said...

Beautiful. Where do you keep it?

Steve Capelin said...

T at the moment it's on a bookshelf in a back room. I should find a place for it alongside the "modern" stuff on our walls. This exercise has made me value it more.

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

http://jingleyanqiu.wordpress.com/2010/05/13/the-celebrate-poet-of-april-award-announcement-for-nomination/

24 hours to vote.
any thanks.