Monday 30 June 2014

Doggie Erratum - Malta's native dog.

I have a confession to make. I made an error, an erratum. Unlike me you might say - but then I am a member of the West End Making Up History Group, so I have form.

I assumed that Maltese Terriers were native to Malta. Not an unlikely or unwarranted fact to assume given their name. But no, the dog which is claimed (note my careful wording) to be native to Malta is in fact the Pharaoh's Hound.

"The Pharaoh Hound is a breed of dog and the national hound of the Mediterranean nation of Malta. Its native name is Kalb tal-Fenek (plural: Kilab tal-Fenek) in Maltese, which means "Rabbit dog". The dog is traditionally used by some Maltese men for hunting." (from wikipedia - which never makes anything up)

Looks very much like a well cared for Australian dingo - another link I have no evidence for. I'm really digging a hole here (as would the Pharaoh's Hound in his/her rabbit hunting mode).

By the way, DNA tests show no link with any known Egyptian dog. So it's not just me making things up.
Pick the pretender.



1 comment:

Mickcap said...

But have you seen any Maltese Falcons?